I struggle with what to post on this website. I’m such a movie geek. I could easily blog about obscure movies, box office numbers, and formal analysis all day long. However, I want this to be a blog that people want to actually visit. Sadly, I don’t think the overwhelming number of people really care that much about those things. That is assuming that people actually care about movies in general anymore.
Every week, we get 3-4 more films that hit theaters and this constant barrage can be overwhelming. I would be happy to narrow it down for you and give you some suggestions for what to watch. But movies are like food and tastes vary wildly. A movie that I think looks laughable may be one of your favorites of the year. On the flipside, I enjoy films that are a little strange at times and that may not match more mainstream interest.
So I am left asking my readers for their input. I’ll give you a few examples in a list. Let me know which of these you crave. Don’t forget to let me know the ones you could care less about or would rather read elsewhere. You won’t hurt my feelings.
- Coming Attractions – Movies that are more than a month away. Could feature trailers and production news.
- Weekend Outlook – What movies are coming to theaters this weekend? Should I spend my money at the theater or just Netflix and chill?
- New Movie Reviews – The staple that nearly every movie blog is centered around. Reviews of movies out in theaters now.
- Classic Movie Reviews – Great older movies that you should find streaming or buy. These will generally be positive reviews. I’m not going to waste my time trashing a film that so many have trashed before.
- Streaming Reviews – A look at movies currently streaming on Netflix, Amazon, or other streaming services. Since they are essentially free to watch I could definitely get a bomb from time to time.
- Movie Lists – Top 3, Top 5, or Top 10 of all kinds of different topics. These are fun to write and I hope that they will create some conversation since that is what this is all about.
- Best Movie Bracket – This is a combination of classic reviews and movie lists. I’ve committed to finding the best movie of all time and I think the way to do it is through competition. I’m currently building my bracket by determining top movies for every year. Then the battles will begin.
- If You Liked… – I haven’t done this one in a while, but I would take a well known film and suggest a handful of lesser known titles that are similar in some way.
- Film/Scene Analysis – An in depth, sometimes shot by shot, look at a classic film to uncover what the director, cinematographer, and actors were doing and why it works. You get behind-the-scenes, film school knowledge without the student loans.
- Box Office Predictions & News – How many millions is that new movie making (or losing) at the box office? I particularly enjoy predicting the top 5 for each weekend to see if I am understanding the trends and patterns that emerge.
- Who did it Better? – With as many remakes and sequels that we are getting from Hollywood, I think that a side by side analysis of an original and a remake is fun to see who did it better and why?
- Trivia – This can run the gamut from screenshot trivia, movie quotes, or interesting facts about actors or movie production. I’d love to make it a competition on the site, but it may be better to keep it confined to social media.
- Discussion Guides – This is definitely more of a niche post, but as a pastor who loves movies I enjoy thinking of ways to use movies to provoke discussion on a variety of different topics. These could be used by families, youth groups, or even pastors as a way to launch into deeper things.
- Podcast/Vodcast – I current co-host a podcast discussing a biblical passage each week called Biblical Trailers. I have thought about turning any number of these ideas into a video or audio version. This makes me a bit nervous, not because I’m ashamed of my voice (although I’m not sure anyone wants to see my receding hairline), but because I think of myself as a fairly scripted person and just having dead air to cover all by myself is a bit daunting.
I think that is enough for now, but if you think of any others that would be of interest to you, let me know. You can leave a comment here or on social media, or you can even email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your feedback.
P. S. – Notice that I didn’t include anything about celebrity news. That is because I find that garbage intolerable. I could care less who is sleeping with who or why they are fighting or what their baby bump looks like. They are people, like you and me and they don’t deserve to have their every waking minute scrutinized by the media.